Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Smack Dab in the Middle of God's Love


I read Smack-Dab in the Middle of God’ s Love to my 6 year old son. He loves having books read to him and so is sort of an expert on kids’ books. After reading it he concluded that it was a good book... not a really, really, good book and not a bad book. He said he liked the pictures (which are colourful and pleasant looking) and pointed out a few pages that he especially liked. He had a difficult time telling me what it was about or what he had learned. He certainly learned that “smack-dab” means right in the middle. I appreciated the example of the childless couple investing their lives selflessly in the lives of the neighbourhood children. The man in the story always called God “Abba” which is similar to calling Him “Daddy”. His presentation of God to the children also communicated this familiar, close intimacy. This is what God desires of us to be our Abba and this book presented God and His love for us in a light, fun, easy way that was also meaningfully expressed. I consider the book to be a valuable addition to a children’s library but it did lack some excitement. However, reading the book definitely inspired me to find a honey sopapilla recipe that I could try for my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment